I watched the movie first, and I fell in love. Then I watched it again, and I fell even more… Then I started on the series, I was a goner.
Here is the Top 10 reasons Veronica Roth made The Divergent Series my new favourite thing… (yes, this list may contain spoilers, beware)
- Tris – This is officially one of my favourite female book characters (right up along with Katniss, Ginny, Hermione and Luna), she was who she was, no apologies, no explanations.
- Tobias (Four) – Do I honestly need to explain how amazing Four is?
- All of the other very great characters, even Eric, Peter and Jeanine. They were so well written, developed, you got to know them and never doubted who they were.
- The factions, the world they existed in, the compound. Once again, every thing was so well written, so believable and true.
- Making me read 3 books, 1005 pages in 6 days! It had to be a great book for me to be that invested
- Being so much better than the movie. I had my doubts honestly, but it was AMAZING how much more the book was, how much better
- The love between Beatrice and Tobias… I know she was only 16 and he 18, but you know what, they were amazing together. She made him more, he made her better, and the were perfect for each other. They fought, they loved, they drifted, the rescued themselves, and the believed, that above all else, they were each others’. They were beautiful. perfect.
- Tris and her extreme emotions. You would think it would get annoying, being that invested in a 16-year olds feelings, but she was consistent and when she changed, she had great reasons for it.
- No happy ending. Every complained about the ending in the reviews I read, and I thought, oh crap, I’m gonna hate it. But you know what, I didn’t. I like the fact that we didn’t get the happy ending, because that is life. And the perfect happily ever after would’ve been predictable, and as I gathered from the rest of the series, Ms. Roth don’t do predictable.
- Great writing… Maybe not perfect (there are other words for SAY!!!) but really good thought out plot lines, well-developed characters and consistency.
What did you love or hate from the Divergent-series?